Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nigerian Presidential Debates co-anchored by CNN's Jonathan Mann - Kolo mentality



The battle for the soul of Nigeria for me doesn’t start with registering or voting. For me it starts with boycotting NN24s Jonathan Mann co-anchored Presidential debate (Nigerian Khadaria Ahmed of NEXT will be co-anchoring). I am appalled the candidates have not complained and believe those who will attend do not deserve my vote. This isn’t rocket science; from MKO vs Tofa in 93 we have done this severally. I cannot take the participants seriously on ANY statement about loving Nigeria.



I do not see this as an indictment on the capabilities of Nigerian broadcast media professionals or public speakers whom I see guiding and participating in high level conversations all over the world.

I see this as an indictment on the organisers, participants and funders of this fiasco. It is not a ground breaking activity as I pointed out it has been done during a military regime and subsequently since with success.



I see this as a deep disconnect with Nigerians, the same ones who are being admonished to steer Nigeria to greatness through voting, the same ones who are being told despite evidence to the contrary that they matter.



I see this as a deep disconnect with reality. How effectively can Mann helm this debate? That NN24 and friends believe he can navigate or understand the nuances and histories of Nigeria (indeed candidates like Buhari have backgrounds dating decades) is ludicrous, deluded and more than a little sad. But no, foreign is better. Any connection with the CNN brand is “prestigious”. It doesn’t matter if most Nigerians do not know who the anchor is or can even understand or want to understand his accent.

That “neutral” Jonathan Mann is the “prestige” cherry on the cake on what now seems to me to be an ego stroking vanity project is very telling. Who is the debate meant for? Nigerians? Really?

Ha! NN24, a channel on DSTVs satellite platform hoping to be the African and Nigerian answer to CNN, does not have the in-house capacity to moderate a Nigerian Presidential debate? NTA did it. Channels did it. Why are they in business? Let’s ignore the fact that the pay for viewing platform is accessible to only a miniscule proportion of Nigerians anyway although I believe they planned to rebroadcast on free to air stations.



I have heard all manner of defences for this lunacy and started responding to them in this piece and then changed my mind and pressed delete. Even engaging in a conversation about the cons is drinking the kool aid.



As a Nigerian who struggles daily with diminishing earning opportunities which our dysfunctional value system contributes to, I regard a country of 150 million reaching out to CNNs Jonathan Mann to helm a NIGERIAN Presidential debate the equivalent of poking fingers into both my eyes... with pepper.



If they have no confidence in Nigerians and Nigeria, I need to shout out loud that I have confidence in myself. I may be frustrated, economically challenged (fancy word for impoverished middle class) and tired but I am not some idiot statistic than can be bamboozled by vanity project.



I am hoping all broadcast professionals and decent hardworking Nigerians will be angry enough to express displeasure and boycott this nonsense which raises the bar on mediocrity and self loathing.



I’m deeply disappointed that no candidate has complained about this. Have they ever seen the US or Ghanaian Presidential debates being anchored by Nigerian born Nigerians? Their participation for me will be a vote of no confidence on Nigeria and a vote of no confidence in me. Why should I vote for any of them?

.... and no I’m not a broadcaster angling for a job. I’m just Nigerian.

As FELA said, na colonial mentality dey worry us...


Pamela Braide

No comments: