Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Ejike Ugboaja: UK-based Nigerian basketballer, CEO





•Says life is all about helping others 


Ejike Christopher Ugboaja is a member of the Nigerian national basketball team. He is also  the Chief Executive Officer,  Ejike Ugboaja Foundation, a humanitarian project that gives the younger generations the opportunity to achieve their academic and athletic dreams, both home and abroad. He spoke with Doyin Adeoye about his career and foundation, among other things.

How was growing up?
I had a very terrible childhood and because I was not from a very rich family, growing up for me was really rough and tough. But when I made it, I didn’t want things to be that tough for other people, that is why I decided to come up with something that would help achieve that. I wanted youths with talents to have better education while they follow their dreams and it has been great so far.

When did your foray into sports begin?
I grew up in a family that loves sports. My mother used to play football professionally, so I used to go with her for trainings then. So after a while, with my height, I decided to start playing basketball.

What is the Ejike Ugboaja Foundation all about?
The Foundation started in 2007 and we have been helping a lot of people and impacting a lot of lives. The project is about encouraging youths to get educated while they live their sporting dream. Basically it is about giving sportsmen the opportunity to go to school.

What brought about the project?
Being trained from Nigeria and being in the Nigerian league when I was drafted, I felt the need to give back to the society I left behind. The goal is to offer young children the opportunity I never had, but always wanted when I was their age. 

How has the journey been so far as a young player?
The journey has been so smooth and successful, I’ve played in Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Poland and many other countries, so it has been the grace of God and a lot of determination and dedication.

Having come from such background and being here today, what were the hurdles you had to cross back then?
It was really bad, it was about not eating the proper food, not having good shoes to wear, not having money to do whatever I wanted to do and not having money for transportation to go for trainings. It was sad not having everything I wanted, but looking back today, I thank God and that is why I am giving a lot of opportunities to others to be able to have what they want.

Many people let their backgrounds influence their focus, what kept you going?
Basically, many people are always about themselves, all they think about is themselves, they don’t care about helping others, especially having experienced the same thing. They feel others have to go through all they did to achieve as well. This is not me, I am all about giving back to the people.

Life is all about helping others, if you can help others, do so, not because of what you will get in return. Because I realised that a lot of Nigerians won’t help or do something for you if they won’t get anything in return. Even the Bible preaches it, give to people, not because you want the glory to come to you, but for God to bless you in return. God gave you life and everything you own, whatever you have, God made it happen, so give back.

What are the criteria to be a part of the programme?
The individual has to have transcripts from their school, that is very important, because it is the major link in getting a scholarship, and it is open to people between 10 and 25.

It is a huge project, where do you get the financial support?
Basically, all is coming from me, so I am appealing to well  meaning Nigerians to come and assist, because these are our children, we need to invest in them to take corruption off the streets.
Our help goes a long way. Once they go to school, their future will be secured and once the future is secured and they see that people care about them, they will not be corrupt, they will believe in themselves and that is why I am begging Nigerians to come and assist them and let us do it together. Unfortunately, travelling out there, many people don’t trust Nigerians, once you say that you are from Nigeria, you will be questioned, but that can be changed by changing and educating our youths.

You were the first player to be drafted from Africa by Cleveland Cavaliers in 2006, what gave the edge and how was the experience?
It took dedications and I also had the privilege to partake in competitions such as world championships and the commonwealth games that put me out there and because other people were watching, it was a platform for me to showcase my talent and that  gave it to me. And also God made it possible for me.

What has been the achievement of the foundation so far?
Many lives have been changed through the foundation. Thousands of people have been influenced positively because they are going to school and living their dreams. In the next years, they can come out and lead the nation with a good mindset. A lot of the boys are graduating from the best universities abroad and most of them are going into NBA, which is their aim.

Do you have affiliations with these higher institutions abroad?
Yes, I have affiliations with some and others, I have to pay, but the likes of University of Miami, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Greenforest High School and many others, offer scholarships.

Educational background
I attended Government College, Kaduna, Kaduna Polytechnic and the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where I studied Economics.

You grew up in the North,  What is your view about the crisis there now?
Sincerely, I wish everything will be resolved soon.

How do you think  basketball can be improved in Nigeria 
They are already improving, although they still need other facilities to get more improved, as well as more sponsors. Good coaches need to go for coaching courses to improve, as this will also tell on the players.

Words for aspiring  sports persons?
They need to work hard and believe in their games and be humble.
__._,_.___

 by: Okukuwe Ibiam 



No comments: