Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Full Text Of Goodluck Jonathan’s Address At The Council on Foreign Relations

1. I wish to commend the esteemed members of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) for its continued interest in Nigerian Affairs.

2. We are always ready to work with the Council on areas of mutual interest especially those that foster greater understanding, facilitate growth and promote the mutual development of our two Nations.

3. In this regard the signing of the Bi-National Commission last week opens up a new vista of opportunity for Nigeria/US relations. The BNC marks a new threshold for greater collaboration between the private sectors of our two countries which we must support to drive our economies.

4. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen there is no doubt in my mind that we are presented with an opportunity to make a lasting impact on the future direction of Nigeria.

5. When I was a young man growing up in the Niger Delta, I had great dreams for the future. I was fascinated by science and discovery and the transformational powers of technology. So I pursued a course of study in science and for 10 years I remained in the field of science as a teacher nurturing the growth of young scientists in Nigeria. When I ventured out of the classroom it was again another opportunity to apply my background in science to protect the delicate ecosystem of the Niger Delta.

6. In both the classroom and my environmental protection work I came face to face with the challenges of sustainable development in Nigeria. The challenges of insufficient funding of critical sectors, mis-prioritization and low infrastructural base were always an obstacle to surmount.

7. But as an individual I continued to make progress and never conceded to these difficulties although of course I was later diverted into politics in 1999.

8. Throughout my political career I have applied the lessons of scientific inquiry and technological innovation to meet the challenges that my constituents face.

9. Today I am confronted with the greatest test of my political career. While we continue to pray for the recovery of our President, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua it is my responsibility to work with all Nigerians to improve the pace of development and to do so facing the right direction.

10. We have chosen for ourselves what I will call foundational responsibilities which if well shouldered will form a solid base for the development of Nigeria from this point onwards.

11. In this responsibility of consolidating and deepening our democracy, we are committed to ensuring that the remaining period of the administration is not a transitional period but one which, we hope, will one day be viewed as a watershed, a transformational time in our young democracy. For us in Nigeria this is our time. Either we continue with more of the same or we change the game.

12. There is no doubt that we have been faced by some challenges in our country but we have stabilized the polity and we are determined to consolidate on the gains so recorded. And for now our domestic focus must be on electoral reform, delivering peace dividends to the Niger Delta and standing strong on our resolve against corruption.

13. Internationally we are determined to restore Nigeria’s image and traditional role as a key member of the international community. In an increasingly uncertain world Nigeria is a key partner in our collective efforts to maintain peace and security in Africa and beyond. Nigeria will reiterate its commitments to fight terrorism and rededicate our efforts to promote development, democracy and a shared value for human progress.

14. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for the opportunity to share our thoughts and hopes with you on the present and future.

15. I thank you for your attention.

No comments: