Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

PDP - Ogun State Communique - Clarification Please

RAHMAN ASHIRU



Good evening Attorney Oke,

I need some clarification on the Communique. As always, I do not have any connection to Ogun State politic as stated previously in one of my email. Went to college in Ijebu Ode, neighborly acquaintance to Chief Niyi Adegbenro in Lagos, and membership in the same club with Remi Osunde. I am a casual observer asking questions that an Appeal Judge may ask.

Can you please explain why Clauses 12.72 c, d, e, l, m and 12.73 of PDP Constitution will not provide the basis for the National Working Committee's (NWC) action?
I noted that the Communique objected, among other reasons, that 12.72 (c) is unconstitutional. I may not have a problem with that position, however all members of PDP freely joined knowing or should have known that part of their party's constitution is unconstitutional.

Please also explain why 12.72 (l) which states that the NWC (through the National Executives) can "make rules for party discipline"  (emphasis added) would not be additional basis for the NWC's action. Further, what about 12.72 (d) specifically the "effectively" part of the clause. What that section means to me is that the PDP can act "democratically' or "effectively". Again, everyone joined PDP freely knowing that PDP may not always does thing democratically but effectively.

Attorney Oke, it will be helpful for some of us if you can state the issues that was brewing among Ogun State PDP or that was presented to the NWC that formed the basis of the NWC's decision. And please don't tell me there is no issue. I believe there are always two sides to a fight and I am giving you the honor to present both sides.

At first read, the Communique seems to suggest that the NWC acted arbitrarily which will not be good for our young democracy.

Finally, I previously sent you an email about the Ogun State Legislature's lawsuit against EFCC for EFCC's investigation of some of Ogun State's executives. Please response by distinguishing your case from the Abuja case if it would not affect your pending case. I noted that you attempted to address that issue in one of your email, however my email asked specific questions that you did not address.

Thanks.

No comments: