Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lost and Found In Nigeria?

There are good people in Nigeria, Matthew is one of them.

I wondered how much he is paid to be a cleaner at the Villa Park Hotel, a very modest and clean hotel in Amuwo Odofin area of Lagos. Matthew as he told me has worked at this hotel for nearly one year and loves his job. He is married with two children. The wife like most low income wives in Nigeria sells provisions on the street.



Matthew is one of those people that gives you hope that all hopes are not lost in Nigeria. On the evening of May 11, 2011, I went to play Tennis at the Hotel's Tennis Court. For some unknown reason, I had some dollars in my pocket (may be as one of my security precaution of carrying my money on my person).

While I was picking an errand ball, the money dropped. After playing, I went to the bar to join my brother and some friends and then retired. I woke up at 5:00 a.m this morning and started looking for my treasure. Oh, my God! My wallet is gone.

I ran downstairs in my pajamas to the Tennis Courts and then to the Bar area. By the time I got to the bar area, the sweeper had already swept and about to dump the trash into the dumpster. I reached in and about to start my quest when Matthew stopped me and inquired what I was looking for.

I told him I had lost some money. He wanted to know how much and when I did not tell him the exact amount, he asked what currency. I told him it was dollar. He told me he found the wallet full of money.

He told me how he almost lost an eye when he refused to turn the money over to a group of guys at the hotel who wanted the booty to be shared, Matthew had a little lump above his left eye and told me they tried to rough him up. He was able to escape and turned the wallet over to the duty manager.



Folks, this has been a good day for me and Matthew. I do believe that there are millions like Matthew in Nigeria, the silent good people. As bad as things may be in Nigeria, there is good also. Let us keep our hopes alive!


Loya Eziokwu



I believe I speak for many when I say that I feel cheated. Here I am in Chicago, trying to cope with the 2011 blizzard that struck the US. Mag is there in Dallas trying to craw his way out of ice filled streets. I could not even get a seat at the Super Bowl game in Dallas, all because of the blizzard. And you are there in warm climate playing tennis in Nigeria?

What exactly did I do wrong to be in this frigid weather while you are there playing tennis in sunny Nigeria? Are you hiring? I want to watch you play tennis in February in Nigeria. If I was there watching you play, I would have been fetching the errant balls and giving them to you.

I would have picked up the lost wallet. If I did, Matthew would not have wound up with a bruise on his face. And if you owed me any back pay, you would have been forced to pay me in dollars. Voluntarily. Unless you don't want your wallet back.

Yes. There are many honest Nigerians everywhere. If you look closely, you can see that honesty does pay off. In the long run. The consequences of not being honest are enough deterrents. But the dishonest believe they can eat their pie and still have it. Na lie.

Hey. Say hello to my aunt. You can let her have some of the green backs. I will pay you back next time I watch you play tennis in February in Nigeria.

And I am

Ezeana Achusim

No comments: