Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Are Members of the Police Force Nigeria Citizens?




Kingsley N.T. Bangwell

Today as we drove from Abuja to Ondo, we passed several check points or may I say collections points mounted by Police and other law enforcement agencies. None checked our vehicle, the driver would just do the so called usual, pass on some money to them and we proceed. Of course most of my team members and I would just normally react.....but I decided to observe the Policemen and to reflect a bit.

At every point we stopped, I keenly observed their faces, clothing, shoes and the shacks they rested by. I could see a bunch of folks whose faces is steadily scotched by the sun, their uniforms worn out and their shoes begging for replacement long ago.

No shelters...yet they must stand long hours. I dont know if meals and water is provided for them daily or they are just to sort themselves.

Their guns you can see are obsolete to say the least. A few of them had newly looking hilux vans, but I didnt see any sophisticated communication gadgets. How do they cope at night?

How do they cope in the rains or during windstorms? Are they well insured against reckless drivers who could run into them? Are they well paid for the service they are rendering to citizens? Can they really stand very armed and ruthless armed robbers? How well taken are their families if they fall in the line of duty? Many questions raced through my mind.

I could not help but wonder if we are treating our Policemen and women who stand across several road networks in the bush and midst of no where as citizens. Could we expect more from people we treat with such neglect? I dont condone their toll collections either. But I just thought to reflect and to say, I will do more to say Thank you and show more appreciation to all Police and Security Officials who stand on the road to do national duty.

Lets also encourage all efforts by both government and by well meaning Nigerians to improve the welfare and working conditions of our Police Force.

And I still ask, are they Nigerian citizens? If yes, can we treat them much better? Will you join me to show more appreciation to the Police next time?
Top of Form
Bottom of Form

No comments: