Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Why I stopped wearing skirts - Odumakin

Tayo Gesinde

Have you ever come across a woman who has never worn make-ups, even on her wedding day? It seems rare, but one Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin, the president, Campaign for Democracy (CD) and founder, Women Arise (WA), who, being a typical radical, seems to be less interested in what catches most women's fancy. The human rights crusader, in this interview, speaks on why she prefers trousers to other dresses. Excerpts:


Definition of style.
To me, style is a unique and peculiar way an individual handles situations and other life issues. It also extends to choices and preferences, it is always said that the way you dress is the way you are addressed. Fashion to me is more about decent appearance and comfort. It is not about going with the crowd or "copying the latest"

Dress sense.
I wear trousers because of comfort. I made up my mind to always wear trousers after I was beaten @ a rally which I led in Ilorin,I fell inside the gutter and my skirt was torn, I was eventually arrested and detained. Also, I do not wear traditional attire again except shirts made with such attire. However, on my wedding day in November 1997, I wore a wedding gown, on my engagement day I had my traditional attire. Likewise, on the naming ceremony of my daughter in 1998 & that of my son too I wore traditional attire. Apart from the times I mentioned, I am always in my trouser and top.
I don't do dinner gowns, there is always an option but if it is a strict dress code, then I get my self busy with other things.

Make- up.
I have never used make up. Growing up, I had wanted to be a nun, later I joined my mother @ Redemption Herald Evangelistic Ministry, Ilorin and there, it is no earrings, etc

Beauty routine.
Mine is just to use Dudu - Osun (black soap) to wash my face, make use of my white facial towel then apply a bit of Vaseline .

Favourite designers.
I make use of our local designers, just to bring out the best, I like TM Lewin and Ralph Lauren shirts.

Perfume.
I hate perfumes, while growing up, I was made to understand that it is only used for dead bodies. Honestly, it makes me want to throw up.

Favourite colours
Black & white, royal blue, purple and green.

Choice of accessories
Wrist watch and moderate earrings. I do not really like silver but gold, something durable.

Accessory I can't do without.
Wrist watch, this is the most important one, at times, my phone will be switched off, there will be no opportunity to check time because honestly 24hours per day is too short for me so, it is very important I manage my time.

Opinion on cosmetic surgery
Cosmetic surgery is for those who are artificial and lack confidence.

On toning.
It is also dangerous to health."It looks good" for a short term but toning on the long run becomes an embarasment.

Provocative dressing.
It is a symptom of moral decline. It is an indecent advertisement which women with values should not take pride in.

Diet\exercise
It is not that I diet but I rarely eat, at times I forget that I have not eaten, Professor Soyinka will say I eat like a bird. At the last SNG rally I forgot that I had not eaten for 3 days due to the series of rallies I had, if not for Pastor Tunde Bakare that held me while collapsing, it would have been disastrous.I exercise a lost, apart from being a street person that is the struggle is my life, I like exercise.

Secret of beauty.
I make sure that I live a moderate life style,do regular exercise and eat plenty of fruits. Also,I avoid eating meat but I ensure that I eat plenty of fish.

Special treat.
I pamper myself with a good dinner out, once in a while or a nice short holiday where I will not roam my phone.

Hair and nail.
I braid my hair, since the death of Bob Marley I made up my mind that nothing but bob. I keep my nails clean always and make use of nail cutter.

No comments: