Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Yar'adua, Ribadu, Aondoakaa and I - by Emeka Ugwuonye

Ephraim Emeka Ugwuonye  


Ribadu
...Ribadu's story in some respect is consistent with my own notes. Ya'Adua was so freaking scared that the tribunal headed by Justice James Ogebe was going to nullify the election in which Maurice Iwu massively rigged him into power. This was the defining issue in Yar'Adua's thinking. That was the central force behind the elevation of Attorney General Aoandoaka from just another attorney general to a key figure in Yar'Adua's kitchen
 cabinet. That was the defining rivalry between Oandakaa and General Abdulahi (the chief of staff at the presidency) that led to the latter being forced out....................

Ribadu, describing the plans and method of EFCC against him, wrote as follows:

"They thought I would be angry and would show up and say, “Look, I have my asset declaration forms. How dare you take me to court?” And when they get me there, they take my passport, possibly put me into prison. We’ve seen this happen across Africa -not just Africa, across the world. The case is still on. About a month or two ago, my lawyers presented the asset declaration. And the court said it was not just that, “but we want to have a physical look at him. He is an accused person, he must come before the court.” Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, In an interview with Ron Singer on February 23, 2010

Fellow Nigerians, can you now understand why EFCC charged me to court under the Penal Code of Northern Nigeria for "breaching my contract with the Embassy of Nigeria in Washington DC'?  You don't need to look further, the former head of EFCC has explained their modus operandi above. My worry is never so much the madness of Mrs. Farida Waziri and her fellow elements in the EFCC or the other shenanigans that rule Nigeria. My worry has always been those innocent Nigerians in the Diaspora with all their nice educational certificates but who could not tell their right hand from their left. They believe everything they hear. And the Government of Nigeria knows that they are truly not bright; so the government sells them dummies all the time. The first step to creating a better Nigeria is actually by being able to ask your government touch questions.

Now, As I read the Wikileaks' revelation of Ribadu's conversation with Ambassador Sanders, I laughed. Ribadu's story in some respect is consistent with my own notes. Ya'Adua was so freaking scared that the tribunal headed by Justice James Ogebe was going to nullify the election in which Maurice Iwu massively rigged him into power. This was the defining issue in Yar'Adua's thinking. That was the central force behind the elevation of Attorney General Aoandoaka from just another attorney general to a key figure in Yar'Adua's kitchen cabinet. That was the defining rivalry between Oandakaa and General Abdulahi (the chief of staff at the presidency) that led to the latter being forced out. In January, 2008, they flew me to London for meetings. During those meetings we held, they begged me to convey the sum of 2 million dollars to the judge as bribe. We had detailed discussions because I wanted to understand their thought process, and the degree of concern they had about losing at the tribunal. They wanted to disguise this bribe in the fees they owed me. They made it clear that unless I did it, they would not pay me right away. I felt so insulted that they could drag me into such a mess over my fees. It was as if I had not earned my money after hard work. Why would they insist on my cooperation in such a scheme? Also, I discovered that they had already sent some money to the judge. But the mechanism they used could only allow them to give smaller amount at a time. They felt I could provide them excellent cover for a substantial payment to the judge.

This is not a joke. I have the dates. I have my ticket. I have the name of the hotel and room number that the Attorney General lodged in and you can call the hotel to confirm this. The hotel would confirm his presence in that room on those dates and my own hotel would confirm my presence in an adjourning hotel on the same dates.

I felt that these people were insulting me. I realized that the Government would even pay me up to 5 million dollars for a role in bribing the judge. I refused to play along. Even after I returned to the US, the government continued to pressure me. This led to an exchange of emails. (They still exist and they were written in February of 2008). In my email to the Attorney General, I threatened to sue all of them including the judge. Only then did they relent. But they made sure that they did not pay my fees.

Also, Oandoaka was so scared about Ribadu. He explained to me that Ribadu had certain hold over his predecessor which was why the latter would do anything to please Ribadu. As he put it, "If Ojo were stopped in the middle of the high way and asked to sign any document from Ribadu, he would sign without reading it". Oandoaka feared that Ribadu had friends in the US law enforcement who would help bug his hotels in the US. That was why Oandoaka would officially check into a hotel in Washington, but would quickly and secretly stay in another hotel even though he remained officially checked in elsewhere. On several occasions, he urged me to counter Ribadu's activities in Washington. But I explained to him that there was no way for me as a lawyer to go about Washington trying to counter Ribadu. And besides, that was never necessary. I tried to explain to him that the US authorities were actually more informed about the situation in Nigeria than the Nigerian Government seemed to realize.

I understood the plans for the removal of Ribadu and the choice of Ribadu's successor. Mrs. Waziri was picked to replace Ribadu by Oandoaka because Mrs. Waziri was considered weak, desperate for a share of the national cake, and highly corrupt. At that time, for me, Farida Waziri was just a name. It is correct that Yar'Adua's fear of losing at the Tribunal caused him to depend on people, some of whom were against Ribadu. The same people endorsed Mrs. Waziri. Initially, the removed Lamode of the EFCC, but they realized he could play ball and they left him.

My observation of the Nigerian government was from close quarters and as a lawyer, I could understand a few things easily. Much of this will come out in the cases I have against the Government, no doubt. For example, I was an official guest to the President of Nigeria and I will be requesting for the transcripts of my meeting with the President and some members of his cabinet. It is just unfortunate how Nigerian leaders have played the people.  Nigeria is not really a country. It is just one big criminal gangland.

Anyway, Ribadu has just told you how they worked. It was not Emeka Ugwuonye that said it. They like to put you into their criminal justice system as a way to control you. They believe they would silence me if they charged me with criminal offenses. But as I have said before, they are the criminals and I would say it to Jonathan in his face. Indeed, they are actually unintelligent. They believe that if they can kill a man, they can also kill truth. But I think they should try to get a basic lesson in history.

Ephraim Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire
President
ECULAW GROUP
Website: www.eculaw.com
Tel: 202-459-3382
Fax: 240-489-9300

No comments: