Report has it that the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is reportedly keeping an eye on seven people to challenge the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the presidential contest in 2019.
According to a report from New Telegraph, the PDP’s plan is in place whether or not President Muhammadu Buhari is going to seek re-election in the poll scheduled to hold on February 16, 2019.
The report from New Telegraph disclosed that they were reliably informed by high ranking sources within the main opposition party that the PDP is banking on the candidacy of five of its members and two others expected to come from the APC.
“I can tell you that some powerful forces in the opposition party are rooting for the APC governor as the possible presidential candidate of the PDP in 2019 election,” a stalwart of the PDP told New Telegraph. The PDP members, who are expected to run for the Presidency are:
1. The former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar
2. A former Governor of Jigawa state, Alhaji Sule Lamido
3. A former Governor of Kaduna state and immediate past chairman of the national caretaker committee of PDP, Senator Ahmed Makarfi
4. A former Kano state governor, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau
5. The Governor of Gombe state, Ibrahim Dankwambo
6. A former governor of Kano, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwakwanso
Also, an official of the PDP said that the party was banking on the candidacy of the seven people, irrespective of whether Buhari runs or not. It was gathered that Atiku currently ranks highest in the party’s consideration, with Dankwambo, Makarfi, Shekarau and Lamido following.